They’re pretty to look at, and good for your health! Learn about these 3 edible flowers and how to include them in your summer recipes.
This flower has salicylates that are anti-inflammatory. They also have been known to help with bladder infections, reduce blood pressure, and they’re pretty. Mix them in your salad or throw them on your avo toast!
Pansies + Greens Salad
● 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
● 3 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
● Pinch of salt and pepper
● About 12 cups of baby salad greens
● 1 package unsprayed violas (pansies)
● ½ cup sliced walnuts
Lightly dress and toss greens, dressing, and pansies in a bowl and serve!
The petals of nasturtium contain vitamin C and iron. The leaves have antibiotic properties which are at their most effective just before the plant flowers. Put them on a pizza to add extra nutrients or use them as a colorful garnish for your drink.
Cauliflower Pizza with Nasturtiums
Recipe inspired by @eat_to_thrive
● Pizza crust (gluten free or regular, cauliflower crust if you’re feeling fancy)
● Pesto spread
● Goat cheese (or cashew cheese for a vegan option)
● Fresh Basil
● Yellow Zucchini
● Caramelized onions
● 1 cup Nasturtiums Preheat temperature and bake time varies on type of crust you use. Roll out dough, add pesto, cheese, caramelized onions, and zucchini. Once baked, top off with fresh basil and Nasturtiums. Slice and enjoy!
Borage Blossoms “The Star Flower”
The Borage blossom, also known as “The Star Flower”, has high levels of vitamin C and A, powerful antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. Not a bad way to take your vitamins!
Star Flower Ice Cubes
Put borage flowers in your ice cube tray to make a refreshing spa water. Add some lemon and cucumbers for even more vitamin C and hydration.
Festival season is in full swing and we can’t stop thinking about what we want to pack! So we called on one of our fellow bohemian babes, Eva Catherine, to share what she’s taking with her this festival season! What are you bringing, gypsies?
Follow Eva on her journey @evaacatherine with Band of Gypsies!